Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Ball and 7 on 7

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NOdaddyBALL View Post
    I know for a fact that mission high and mission vets run their playbook during 7 on 7. The same thing that would have beat Alice if you did play them is the same thing that would beat you come fall if you faced Poineer, Rowe, vets , and Mission just to name a few. Realistically McM is about the only team that will not throw come fall. My question is if they actually threw the ball 30 times to the same player with the same route in a 40 minute running clock game why weren't adjustments made by both the player and coach? Football IQ translates to fall.
    Sorry dude but not in 2019. Alice would not lose to any of those teams you just named. Alice is returning our QB, RB, WR, SR and 4 linemen just on offense and 5 more on defense. As far as your adjustments comment Alice had 9 players. McM had 25. Fatigue sets in when you play 3 straight games and only have 1 sub. Alice killed Georgetown in the first game. Fatigue obviously isn't much of a factor in game 1 and it showed as Alice beatdown the best team in the pool. Georgetown has 10x the athletes of any of those teams you just named. Be real.
    Last edited by Cochino's Revenge; 06-17-2019, 11:21 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Cochino's Revenge View Post
      I'll start off by saying I'm bitter because all of Alice's 7 on 7 losses are to Valley teams that we would kill this season in a real game. Lol but all that bitterness aside your Valley 7 on 7 teams aren't gaining anything for the real season by the way you play your 7 on 7. You guys play to win period and screw working on routes and timing you will need during the regular season. We lost to McAllen Memorial Saturday and if McM threw the ball 40x I'd say 30 of those passes were to the same kid and almost always a short 3-5 out or curl. That'll get you moving the ball in 7 on 7 and get you wins but how does that benefit you in the regular season? This isn't isolated to McM. That type of strategy happens every time I see a Valley school playing 7 on 7.
      I’ve seen plenty of teams around the state do the same, it’s not a Valley thing. Ultimately, I agree, it’s not beneficial.

      Lol, what teams beat Alice? La Villa, Santa Rosa?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Cochino's Revenge View Post

        Sorry dude but not in 2019. Alice would not lose to any of those teams you just named. Alice is returning our QB, RB, WR, SR and 4 linemen just on offense and 5 more on defense. As far as your adjustments comment Alice had 9 players. McM had 25. Fatigue sets in when you play 3 straight games and only have 1 sub. Alice killed Georgetown in the first game. Fatigue obviously isn't much of a factor in game 1 and it showed as Alice beatdown the best team in the pool. Georgetown has 10x the athletes of any of those teams you just named. Be real.
        Returners from a 4-6 team?

        Tell us more!

        ...other than excuses, por favor.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by cardinal85 View Post

          Returners from a 4-6 team?

          Tell us more!

          ...other than excuses, por favor.
          Not excuses its just what happened. Alice had a meltdown after the Floresville game midway through the season. We killed Floresville easier than anyone else in the district did then fell apart. Not as an excuse it was reality. In-fighting, players not showing up to practice and players lost to injury. That's a big deal when you only had 42 on varsity and only 14 of those were seniors. So much so that Atwood designated captains already before spring training and went to each of their houses and told them in front of the parents what he expects of them on and off the field this season. Our #1 WR missed 4 games and still got district WR MVP. His twin was lost after the Floresville game. Our #2 WR quit after the Southside game. Our 6'3" DE whose been starting since freshman season was also lost midway through the season. You can call it all excuses if you want but its difficult stuff to overcome when there's only 42 on varsity. I don't know what kind of D we'll have this season but our O is gonna be legit. Ill even say already they'll put up more points on Calallen than any other Alice team has.
          Last edited by Cochino's Revenge; 06-17-2019, 12:26 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            We had 2 sophomore to be WRs tearing up the Georgetown D and we didn't have Moore the districts WR MVP or his twin. Alice's offense will be fun to watch this coming season.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Cochino's Revenge View Post
              I'll start off by saying I'm bitter because all of Alice's 7 on 7 losses are to Valley teams that we would kill this season in a real game. Lol but all that bitterness aside your Valley 7 on 7 teams aren't gaining anything for the real season by the way you play your 7 on 7. You guys play to win period and screw working on routes and timing you will need during the regular season. We lost to McAllen Memorial Saturday and if McM threw the ball 40x I'd say 30 of those passes were to the same kid and almost always a short 3-5 out or curl. That'll get you moving the ball in 7 on 7 and get you wins but how does that benefit you in the regular season? This isn't isolated to McM. That type of strategy happens every time I see a Valley school playing 7 on 7.
              For a team that has RB Speights and a run first scheme, a five and out curl every 4 or 5 downs will probably produce long yardage every time when used in connection with a play-action play or RPO. It's the "hidden in plain sight approach" which obviously is very effective against your diagnostic methodology of an opposing offense. It worked against Alice in 7 on 7 when you knew what they were going to do. Imagine how well it will work in regular season when you are gearing up for the run on every play. I wasn't there but it could be that Memorial just found a real weak link in the Alice defense and exploited it all game because they too were tired after playing many games in the heat.
              Last edited by Valley Night Lights; 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Cochino's Revenge View Post

                Not excuses its just what happened. Alice had a meltdown after the Floresville game midway through the season. We killed Floresville easier than anyone else in the district did then fell apart. Not as an excuse it was reality. In-fighting, players not showing up to practice and players lost to injury. That's a big deal when you only had 42 on varsity and only 14 of those were seniors. So much so that Atwood designated captains already before spring training and went to each of their houses and told them in front of the parents what he expects of them on and off the field this season. Our #1 WR missed 4 games and still got district WR MVP. His twin was lost after the Floresville game. Our #2 WR quit after the Southside game. Our 6'3" DE whose been starting since freshman season was also lost midway through the season. You can call it all excuses if you want but its difficult stuff to overcome when there's only 42 on varsity. I don't know what kind of D we'll have this season but our O is gonna be legit. Ill even say already they'll put up more points on Calallen than any other Alice team has.
                Fair, but only time will tell if the above turmoil is over.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Valley Night Lights View Post

                  For a team that has RB Speights and a run first scheme, a five and out curl every 4 or 5 downs will probably produce long yardage every time when used in connection with a play-action play or RPO. It's the "hidden in plain sight approach" which obviously is very effective against your diagnostic methodology of an opposing offense. It worked against Alice in 7 on 7 when you knew what they were going to do. Imagine how well it will work in regular season when you are gearing up for the run on every play. I wasn't there but it could be that Memorial just found a real weak link in the Alice defense and exploited it all game because they too were tired after playing many games in the heat.
                  The only weak link is we only had 9 kids to McM's 25 and it was the second game so fatigue plays a factor when you only have 1 sub and play 3 games back to back to back.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Cochino's Revenge View Post

                    The only weak link is we only had 9 kids to McM's 25 and it was the second game so fatigue plays a factor when you only have 1 sub and play 3 games back to back to back.
                    One game of 7 on 7 and a team is gassed, suffering from fatigue? I know most, if not all, went both ways, but is a game of 7 that grueling? No pads/gear, little to no contact, quick plays, etc...sounds like those kids are not primed for Fall ball.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Well cochino doesn't look too promising for you this year either I'm sorry to say. If you only got 9 showing up to get work in 7 on 7 looks like that same mentality is still there that cost you your season last year. Im willing to bet Alice would be not much of a problem for poineer, vets, and eagles. Just my opinion though. And on that injury note the eagles qualified all while losing 3starting defenders. 2 wrs, 1 rb and kids playing both ways after 1st game. Adversity was handled well by that group.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by dwade3 View Post
                        Mission vets was a fill in for Weslaco
                        We specifically gave Mission Vets our spot.
                        I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put 8 in it.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by cardinal85 View Post

                          One game of 7 on 7 and a team is gassed, suffering from fatigue? I know most, if not all, went both ways, but is a game of 7 that grueling? No pads/gear, little to no contact, quick plays, etc...sounds like those kids are not primed for Fall ball.
                          The McM game was the second game and all the kids were going both ways and it was hot as hell. Common sense. We dominated the best team in the pool because we got to play them game 1 with everybody being fresh.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by NOdaddyBALL View Post
                            Well cochino doesn't look too promising for you this year either I'm sorry to say. If you only got 9 showing up to get work in 7 on 7 looks like that same mentality is still there that cost you your season last year. Im willing to bet Alice would be not much of a problem for poineer, vets, and eagles. Just my opinion though. And on that injury note the eagles qualified all while losing 3starting defenders. 2 wrs, 1 rb and kids playing both ways after 1st game. Adversity was handled well by that group.
                            You are wrong. Alice has 100 kids showing up to summer workouts. Its been packed. As to why only 9 showed up for that day of 7 on 7 I have no idea. Maybe vacations. Who knows. They play FB tonight so we'll see what happens there. I don't care how many kids Mission had missing. The question is how many showed up? Since my argument and excuse for Alice was fatigue.
                            Last edited by Cochino's Revenge; 06-18-2019, 11:27 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Boost View Post

                              We specifically gave Mission Vets our spot.
                              Well after failing to fill out.a team for the The Corpus SQT Vet should thank you




                              sigpicCowboy Lover!!! Texans Still suck!!!!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by lmka View Post

                                Well after failing to fill out.a team for the The Corpus SQT Vet should thank you



                                lol without getting into specifics, we are both thankful for helping each other out.
                                I'm not afraid to think outside the box or put 8 in it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X