2020 Harlingen Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Harlingen Cardinals

What are expectations for Cardinals in 2020?
    Anyone know how many return O/D?

2x - 5A Regional Finalists ('89 & '11)
    12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
    31x - Consecutive regular season game winning streak ('08-'11) *RGV 5A record
    38x - District Champions
    40x - Playoff trips *RGV record

BOTA- Cardinals lead 62-24-5
    Bird Bowl- Cardinals lead 22-4

I honestly expect another big yr ... we got some really good players coming back ... the front 7 on defense could be as good as we’ve had in awhile
    "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to DIE". - Inigo Montoya

Comment

Expecting a 6-4, maybe 7-3 type season depending on how the district shapes up. Nothing will hurt more than losing Galvan. He was enough of a playmaker to mask a lot of the play calling deficiencies. Losing Martinez on defense will suck too. The JV team was pretty weak, but the freshmen went undefeated so there’s some young talent in the pipeline.

Hope they get another strong non-district game scheduled. The Judson game last year didn’t result in any injuries & it was the only regular season loss, so it’s not like it destroyed their confidence or anything. Those kind of games have more pros than cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruvala View Post
        Expecting a 6-4, maybe 7-3 type season depending on how the district shapes up. Nothing will hurt more than losing Galvan. He was enough of a playmaker to mask a lot of the play calling deficiencies. Losing Martinez on defense will suck too. The JV team was pretty weak, but the freshmen went undefeated so there’s some young talent in the pipeline.

Hope they get another strong non-district game scheduled. The Judson game last year didn’t result in any injuries & it was the only regular season loss, so it’s not like it destroyed their confidence or anything. Those kind of games have more pros than cons.
        With all do respect and I know folks are going to say I'm a naysayer. But please tell me how playing a judson type team benefited the cards more than hurt them? In reality I think Harlingen season would of ended up the same had they played any other team. Did it help them come playoff time when they faced and lost to vela. Yes it's cool to face these teams just to say we wernt scared to schedule them but it means more when you earn to face these teams in the post season. I know folks will say well if you play then in non district it will be if it you when you play them in the postseason because they can adjust, never stating the obvious fact that the latter could adjust as well and exploit those weaknesses more a second time.

long story short if you want to schedule a team like that or another powerhouse by all means...but please don't come in here and trying to state as it will benefit the team down the line cause that has yet to be proven. I've always said special teams get past the 3rd not who you face in non district.

And finally I'm sure both fanbases would like to skip a 5 or 6 hour road trip to a game where both teams really might not learn anything they didn't already know. It's a harsh reality.
        Last edited by Truth; 01-28-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Lol
          "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to DIE". - Inigo Montoya

Comment

Originally posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
            Lol
            I agree its funny to think I playing a team that caliber benefits you come playoff time. The cards the past 2 years have played midland, Laredo south, and judson in non district and went out the 1st round last year and 2nd this year...so I'm just curious how it has benefited them. in fact for the most part of this past decade cards have expirimented with having some San Antonio squads in non district as well....it seems that it hasn't achieved the goal they were shooting for.

I ask how did losing to judson 30+ to 0 benefit cards?
            Last edited by Truth; 01-29-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I can say I have seen both sides of the coin at two different schools, let's look at Hanna two seasons ago the schedule they had went and beat Tascosa and had a great run in the playoffs with like you said a "special team" now look at last season that "special team" was not there anymore and they got woke against Tascosa.

This past season I had a different view on another school Vela whom does not schedule those big name schools had many close games, three losses to playoff teams, and one being to our district champ; yet went into the playoffs and knocked a district champ out.

So from my opinion I believe having that "special" team and winning against those big schools is a combination for success in the post season, as you said though those wins against big schools ONLY MATTER IN THE POST SEASON.

Good luck on the next season and finally less travel for y'alls district with having more teams now and not having to schedule the panhandle schools.

Comment

Well for one, Gomez has expressed frustration in the past at the difficulty he has scheduling non-district games with other valley teams. But I think it’s good to get exposure to a different team, athlete, playing style than you’re used to. You don’t ever get better by just staying in your comfort zone all the time. Vela is top dog in the valley, but they’ve never ever beaten a non-border school I believe. I think some tougher non district games could help them get over that hump.

While it certainly takes a special team to get far in the playoffs, recent (within past decade) Valley 6A teams that held their own in round 3: Vela last year & McMemorial in 2011 didn’t play a non-valley team in non district. 2018 Hanna played Tascosa, 2015 Harlingen played Reagan, and we know about 2011 harlingen. Can’t think of other examples, surely I’m missing some.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruvala View Post
                  Well for one, Gomez has expressed frustration in the past at the difficulty he has scheduling non-district games with other valley teams. But I think it’s good to get exposure to a different team, athlete, playing style than you’re used to. You don’t ever get better by just staying in your comfort zone all the time. Vela is top dog in the valley, but they’ve never ever beaten a non-border school I believe. I think some tougher non district games could help them get over that hump.

While it certainly takes a special team to get far in the playoffs, recent (within past decade) Valley 6A teams that held their own in round 3: Vela last year & McMemorial in 2011 didn’t play a non-valley team in non district. 2018 Hanna played Tascosa, 2015 Harlingen played Reagan, and we know about 2011 harlingen. Can’t think of other examples, surely I’m missing some.
                  Don't get me wrong they make for intestine games valleywise but they don't make your team better or more prepared for the playoffs. Special teams or teams that get hot at the right time make those runs. Heck even the year when Harlingen beat united south and then shocked Reagan in non district the cards didn't even make the playoffs. It's up for debate. dona north can play judson in all its non district games, it doesnt mean those kids will non be prepared to win district.

Comment

I’m basically saying those games can make a good team better. But obviously if you’re terrible (sorry Donna North) you’ll need a lot more than that to help. I think a great non-district sched. for the Cards would be Pioneer (heard that one is highly likely), Vela, and one SA team. Maybe not a Judson-level but a decent one that could be a good game. Valley teams have been having success against the lesser SA & Austin schools in recent years (Weslaco beating SA Marshall, WE beating Manor last year, Harlingen over Reagan, etc). Think Los Fresnos or someone beat Del Valle not too long ago too.

Comment

There is a lot of smack talking in the El Paso forum on how their crappiest teams can beat our top teams and they use the LF/Montwood games, I am like please that would be lovely to have their number one team come play our number 1 or 2 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post

With all do respect and I know folks are going to say I'm a naysayer. But please tell me how playing a judson type team benefited the cards more than hurt them? In reality I think Harlingen season would of ended up the same had they played any other team. Did it help them come playoff time when they faced and lost to vela. Yes it's cool to face these teams just to say we wernt scared to schedule them but it means more when you earn to face these teams in the post season. I know folks will say well if you play then in non district it will be if it you when you play them in the postseason because they can adjust, never stating the obvious fact that the latter could adjust as well and exploit those weaknesses more a second time.

long story short if you want to schedule a team like that or another powerhouse by all means...but please don't come in here and trying to state as it will benefit the team down the line cause that has yet to be proven. I've always said special teams get past the 3rd not who you face in non district.

And finally I'm sure both fanbases would like to skip a 5 or 6 hour road trip to a game where both teams really might not learn anything they didn't already know. It's a harsh reality.
                        Truth...What's the best way to exploit a team's weaknesses? Playing a weak, avg or good team? I take you as an intelligent guy so I shouldn't need to explain further. If you don't get my question then you're just SOL.

2x - 5A Regional Finalists ('89 & '11)
                        12x - 5A/6A Regional Semifinalists ('88, '89, '94, '96, '97, '03, '05, '08, '09, '10, '11, '15)
                        31x - Consecutive regular season game winning streak ('08-'11) *RGV 5A record
                        38x - District Champions
                        40x - Playoff trips *RGV record

BOTA- Cardinals lead 62-24-5
                        Bird Bowl- Cardinals lead 22-4

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post

I agree its funny to think I playing a team that caliber benefits you come playoff time. The cards the past 2 years have played midland, Laredo south, and judson in non district and went out the 1st round last year and 2nd this year...so I'm just curious how it has benefited them. in fact for the most part of this past decade cards have expirimented with having some San Antonio squads in non district as well....it seems that it hasn't achieved the goal they were shooting for.

I ask how did losing to judson 30+ to 0 benefit cards?
                          I laugh because this has got to be the 50th time I’ve heard you say this

Comment

This will be last time I’ll talk about this subject .... to me it’s all about competition and repetition ... us playing one game or 2 games a yr probably not gonna do much for us ... but let’s say this .... in a dream world let’s put the 2019 cards players ... all of them starting at the junior high level ... play in the same district as a converse Judson .... so from the 7th grade to the 12th grade .... playing all those teams yr in and yr out ... I’m willing to bet that version of the cards would be better than the one this past season ... with same players ... does that mean we’ll win district there or state championship or even make playoffs ... NO ... but that team will be better just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by craftysouthpaw View Post

I laugh because this has got to be the 50th time I’ve heard you say this
                              Because it's the 50th time ive, I've heard someone say it will only make the team better when that hasn't been the case. I have no problem with teams scheduling these type of opponents, but please stop saying it wI'll prepare your team for the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X