Weslaco High School Girls "State Bound" Powerlifting Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weslaco High School Girls "State Bound" Powerlifting Team

Keep your eyes on these girls right here. There state bound. There hard work and determination will hopefully pay off this year and bring home a STATE Championship.

Weslaco Brought home 2 State Champions last year!

Weslaco High won 2nd place at state!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR9jmx9NZOM"]YouTube - KWES Sports Magazine- WHS Girls Powerlifting- Volume 2 Issue 3[/ame]

Check this out! One of our girls are already breaking WORLD RECORDS!

Shelbi Foerster juggles powerlifting, pageants at Weslaco High
    Comments 0 | Recommend 0
    July 7, 2009 - 7:53 PM
    Mike Gonzalez
    RGVSports.com

WESLACO - Shelbi Foerster goes through the brutal summer training workouts just like the rest of her teammates.

She doesn't worry about breaking a nail, if her hair looks right or if any boys are glancing her way.

Instead, the incoming sophomore Weslaco High powerlifter focuses on the hard task of flipping a 300-pound tire with her partner Tanya Roldan 20 yards in one direction and back. By the end of each workout, Foerster is dripping in sweat and covered with grass.

The look wouldn't be complete without the black stains on her arms left by her tire flipping exercise.

Growing up with mud fights against an older brother and sister, Foerster doesn't mind the physical activity. But from blood and sweat to true beauty, Foerster also hasn't forgotten that she's very feminine as well and enjoys a world completely opposite from powerlifting - she loves to compete in beauty pageants.Foerster spent June on Cloud 9 when she was a winner of the 2009 Miss Junior Teen South Texas and set four world records while she participated in the American Powerlifting Association competition.

Leading up to the pageant, Foerster learned she broke records in the squat (270 pounds), bench (140), deadlift (245) and total weight (655) in her age (15) and weight class (132).

"She's gone from doing pageants to breaking world records in powerlifting that's been around for 30 years," Weslaco High powerlifting coach Raul Villarreal said. "I've never coached a girl who broke four world records at 15 years old."

Foerster said living in two different worlds often has her feeling like a queen and Wonder Woman at the same time.

"It's really good to have the best of both worlds," Foerster said. "I can be tough, but at the same time, I can be girly."

Foerster has participated in four pageants, winning three of them.

Foerster's pageant career began with a splash when she captured Jr. Miss Tip of Texas while in the sixth grade.

"It was very new to me, also very nervous, but I won it," said Foerster, who is also a cheerleader for Weslaco High.

With the kind of rough-housing that she enjoyed growing up combined with years of gymnastics, powerlifting was a natural fit for Foerster. Although she only entered the sport last summer, Foerster immediately learned powerlifting and pageants are opposites.

"I thought I was in shape, but it taught me that I wasn't in shape," Foerster said.

In comparison, powerlifting is more like an everyday job of hard training to maintain her conditioning, while pageants are usually once a year and focus on hairstyles, dresses and interviews.

"In powerlifting, you don't have to speak, you don't have to answer questions like in pageants," Foerster said.

Instead, Foerster let's the song "Speed" from the group Atari Teenage Riot do all the talking as she prepares for an intense powerlifting meet.

"You don't know what they're saying, but it pumps me up," Foerster said.

Villarreal's first impression of Foerster left him questioning her place in the sport. After watching her impose her will in the weight room and the determination she showed during training, Villarreal realized Foerster was physically and mentally fit for the sport.

"You would think girls that are in pageants would be protective with their face," Villarreal said. "She knows when to turn it on.

"She likes to get dirty and at the end of workouts, she's one of the dirtiest."

Foerster intends to continue her powerlifting and pageant path, including running for Miss Weslaco during her junior year.

Regardless of her amazing accomplishments, Foerster knows she's human as well and butterflies are part of both worlds.

"No matter how many times I participate in a pageant or powerlifting event, I'm going to be nervous," Foerster said.

Comment

way to go pc! which one are you?
      YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL

HELPING A BROTHA'S DREAMS COME TRUE, ONE HAIRNET AT A TIME.

Originally posted by CHILLEDPATRON
      WOW WOW WOW WOW. . . QUE VIVA LA MAQUINA. .. (one and only time i will EVER say it)

thank you for helping east share a district championship!!!

Comment

Not Funny Bunter!
        Last edited by panthercrazy; 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterbunter View Post
          way to go pc! which one are you?

Comment

Nice job ladies.
            Last edited by E-E PoWeR HoUsE; 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Damn!

*Made by: Jungle and TC
              *Helmets Courtesy of:http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

Comment

but seriously guys this is one heck of a team. Since I've started football these girls have been in the weight room working to get better. Still to this day these girls are still working hard! Amazing! They are so focused and Determined! Amazing group of girls and some of them have just amazing stories like Shelbi and Amanda pedraza. I knew Shelbi when I was in middle school, You wouldnt have thought when she got to high school she'd be breaking world records in powerlifting. Amanda now I was there when the coach asked her if she would consider being in powerlifting and come 7 months later she's a state champion! Amazing stories and there's more girls on the team that have very unique stories as well but when they win that state championship its going to be a moment in there lives they will always remember. Im determined to get these girls the exposure they deserve. Starting January I will be working close with these girls to produce MAYBE a documentary. Documenting this team and they win the state championship would be a tremendous honor not just for me but for the city of weslaco and the valley. If this goes about as I am planning it this might be playing on KWES come the summer.

Comment

Shelbi Foerster juggles powerlifting, pageants at Weslaco High
                  Comments 0 | Recommend 0
                  July 7, 2009 - 7:53 PM
                  Mike Gonzalez
                  RGVSports.com

WESLACO - Shelbi Foerster goes through the brutal summer training workouts just like the rest of her teammates.

She doesn't worry about breaking a nail, if her hair looks right or if any boys are glancing her way.

Instead, the incoming sophomore Weslaco High powerlifter focuses on the hard task of flipping a 300-pound tire with her partner Tanya Roldan 20 yards in one direction and back. By the end of each workout, Foerster is dripping in sweat and covered with grass.

The look wouldn't be complete without the black stains on her arms left by her tire flipping exercise.

Growing up with mud fights against an older brother and sister, Foerster doesn't mind the physical activity. But from blood and sweat to true beauty, Foerster also hasn't forgotten that she's very feminine as well and enjoys a world completely opposite from powerlifting - she loves to compete in beauty pageants.Foerster spent June on Cloud 9 when she was a winner of the 2009 Miss Junior Teen South Texas and set four world records while she participated in the American Powerlifting Association competition.

Leading up to the pageant, Foerster learned she broke records in the squat (270 pounds), bench (140), deadlift (245) and total weight (655) in her age (15) and weight class (132).

"She's gone from doing pageants to breaking world records in powerlifting that's been around for 30 years," Weslaco High powerlifting coach Raul Villarreal said. "I've never coached a girl who broke four world records at 15 years old."

Foerster said living in two different worlds often has her feeling like a queen and Wonder Woman at the same time.

"It's really good to have the best of both worlds," Foerster said. "I can be tough, but at the same time, I can be girly."

Foerster has participated in four pageants, winning three of them.

Foerster's pageant career began with a splash when she captured Jr. Miss Tip of Texas while in the sixth grade.

"It was very new to me, also very nervous, but I won it," said Foerster, who is also a cheerleader for Weslaco High.

With the kind of rough-housing that she enjoyed growing up combined with years of gymnastics, powerlifting was a natural fit for Foerster. Although she only entered the sport last summer, Foerster immediately learned powerlifting and pageants are opposites.

"I thought I was in shape, but it taught me that I wasn't in shape," Foerster said.

In comparison, powerlifting is more like an everyday job of hard training to maintain her conditioning, while pageants are usually once a year and focus on hairstyles, dresses and interviews.

"In powerlifting, you don't have to speak, you don't have to answer questions like in pageants," Foerster said.

Instead, Foerster let's the song "Speed" from the group Atari Teenage Riot do all the talking as she prepares for an intense powerlifting meet.

"You don't know what they're saying, but it pumps me up," Foerster said.

Villarreal's first impression of Foerster left him questioning her place in the sport. After watching her impose her will in the weight room and the determination she showed during training, Villarreal realized Foerster was physically and mentally fit for the sport.

"You would think girls that are in pageants would be protective with their face," Villarreal said. "She knows when to turn it on.

"She likes to get dirty and at the end of workouts, she's one of the dirtiest."

Foerster intends to continue her powerlifting and pageant path, including running for Miss Weslaco during her junior year.

Regardless of her amazing accomplishments, Foerster knows she's human as well and butterflies are part of both worlds.

"No matter how many times I participate in a pageant or powerlifting event, I'm going to be nervous," Foerster said.

Comment

Originally posted by panthercrazy View Post
                    but seriously guys this is one heck of a team. Since I've started football these girls have been in the weight room working to get better. Still to this day these girls are still working hard! Amazing! They are so focused and Determined! Amazing group of girls and some of them have just amazing stories like Shelbi and Amanda pedraza. I knew Shelbi when I was in middle school, You wouldnt have thought when she got to high school she'd be breaking world records in powerlifting. Amanda now I was there when the coach asked her if she would consider being in powerlifting and come 7 months later she's a state champion! Amazing stories and there's more girls on the team that have very unique stories as well but when they win that state championship its going to be a moment in there lives they will always remember. Im determined to get these girls the exposure they deserve. Starting January I will be working close with these girls to produce MAYBE a documentary. Documenting this team and they win the state championship would be a tremendous honor not just for me but for the city of weslaco and the valley. If this goes about as I am planning it this might be playing on KWES come the summer.

.....might as well start in august.....why don't you get in the weightroom with them.....maybe then you'd actually do a workout....

Comment

Originally posted by panthercrazy View Post
                      Wow! That coach is right. There just kids walking the halls you never know which ones might become champions.

*Made by: Jungle and TC
                      *Helmets Courtesy of:http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

Comment

'Grats Lady Panthers!

Weslaco High wins National WABDL Powerlifting title

April 11, 2010 11:33 AM

RGVSports.com
                        SAN ANTONIO — The Weslaco High Lady Panthers powerlifting team won the National WABDL Powerlifting championship on Saturday on the campus of the University of Texas-San Antonio.

Lifters from across the nation and the state of Texas participated in the event.

“The girls did an outstanding job,” Weslaco coach Raul Villarreal said. “I’m very proud of them.”

Individually, Emily Guerra finished in first place to become a national champion, while Sarah Cruz and Cindy Herrera each earned second-place finishes. Herrera set the 16-year-old division record with a 285-pound deadlift.

Denis Martinez took first place in the 181-pound weight class, and her 315-pound deadlift established a new record. Tashika Sandoval (198 pounds) and Sasha Martinez (SHW class) also won gold medals, with Martinez also garnering the “Best Lifter of the Meet” award. In addition, Priscilla Ortiz was second place in the SHW class.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/0i...***-style.html
                        Last edited by Midvalleyftball79; 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

CONGRATS TO THE LADY PANTHERS AND COACH (RAUL) VILLARREAL!
                          Just goes to prove hard work pays off, and looks like these girls busted their tails off and it obviously paid off.
                          Last edited by Midvalleyftball79; 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

'''
                            Last edited by MorristheCat; 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorristheCat View Post
                              '''
                              Do you have the same problem I have? Can't delete posts so you have to change them? That drives me nuts.

Go AP Falcons.

Comment

Working...
                              X