• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Fresnos 5A State Champs

Falcons reward coach Dan Smith before leaving Los Fresnos
    April 09, 2010 6:44 AM
    Roy Hess
    RGVSports.com

Perhaps it was fitting the Los Fresnos boys won the Class 5A championship at last month’s state powerlifting meet at Abilene in coach Dan Smith’s final year with the Falcons’ program.

Smith started the powerlifting program for boys and girls at Los Fresnos in 1997. Until this school year, he had never won a state title with the boys, although he had guided the Lady Falcons to eight state championships in 14 years.

"We had gotten second place five times at state, so it was an awesome feeling (to win)," said Smith, who plans to return to his native North Dakota after 24 years of teaching and coaching at Los Fresnos. "You couldn’t ask for a better way (for things to turn out).

"We finished second at state last year, so winning state this year was something our guys had set a goal for," he added. "They did a great job of working hard to accomplish it."

The Texas High School Powerlifting Association’s state meet March 27 in Abilene featured 199 competitors in the highest division. Los Fresnos took first with 29 points followed by Lewisville The Colony in second with 22 and Weslaco East in third with 15.

The Falcons took seven lifters to state, and it was Los Fresnos’ most memorable showing for several reasons.

"Besides winning the team championship, there were seven state records broken (by our athletes)," Smith said.

Coming away with individual state championships for the Falcons were Rudy Garay, a junior, in the 114-pound class, Nick Laznovsky, a senior, in the 132-pound division, and Isaac Nuٌez, a senior, in the 148-pound class. Anibal Martinez, a senior, took second in the 123-pound class.

"Those four guys scored 26 of our 29 points," said Patrick Boutwell, an assistant coach for the Falcons along with Forrest Holt and Nikki Gomez. "They carried us all year."

Also for the Falcons, Rolando Borjas finished fourth in the 123-pound division, while Ivan Gonzalez and Aaron Castillo were fifth and 12th, respectively, in the 198-pound class.

"I got fifth at state last year, and I went back this year with the goal of finishing in the top three," Garay said. "I tried my best with all my heart, so it felt very good to finish first. I was (previously) at a higher weight class, and at the last moment, I went down and wound up winning state. I feel that I can do even better next year."

Laznovsky advanced to state four straight years. He went as a freshman for Port Isabel before moving to Los Fresnos as a sophomore.

"I had a lot of determination this year," he said. "In my mind, I didn’t let anything get in the way of getting a championship. It also felt great to do it as a team. Everyone worked out hard, and we didn’t want it to slip out of our hands. We wanted to do it for coach Smith since this was his last year and he had never won a boys state championship. We busted our butts in the weight room so we could win it.

"When I won my title, it was awesome," he added. "I just wanted to jump up in the air. I was so happy because I had gotten second last year and lost by 5 pounds."

Nuٌez successfully defended his state championship from one year ago. This year, he won by a comfortable 115-pound margin with his 1,470-pound total of dead lift, bench press and squat lifts. As a senior, he was making his fourth appearance at the state meet.

"Everything went pretty much according to the way I planned it," said Nuٌez, who has been one of the Falcons’ top lifters for four years and plans to continue competing in the sport at the University of Texas-San Antonio. "I didn’t want it to be close, and I got it done.

"I hope I’ve been a good example for younger powerlifters, so it can help push them to see what they can do," he added. "Through football and powerlifting, it’s taught me to be competitive and do my best. It’s helped me a lot. I’m not stopping here (in high school). I want to go on with it."

As a senior, Martinez made his third trip to state. He finished eighth as a sophomore and third as a junior. At this year’s meet, he broke a state record for the squat in his division with 520-pound lift. The previous record belonged to Laznovsky.

Laznovsky, in turn, broke a state squat record in his division previously held by Nuٌez with a 560-pound lift. Not to be outdone, Nuٌez recorded state records in his weight class in the bench press (375 pounds) and squat (620 pounds). Also, Garay broke a state record in the squat with 445 pounds, a mark that was topped just a few seconds later by a competitor, who did 450 pounds.

Just like some of his teammates, Martinez plans to continue powerlifting beyond high school.

"I felt good about this year because I got stronger and everything," Martinez said. "I would like to continue powerlifting in college, too. I may go to UTSA with Nick and Isaac.

"Winning the state (team) championship means a lot to me," he added. "I’ve competed in powerlifting all four years here at Los Fresnos, and it’s been one of the most important things to me while I’ve been in school.

"It just feels super (to win state), like nothing I’ve experienced before. I’d just like to thank the guys who were always there working out with me throughout the year, plus our coaches for how much they helped us."

Roy Hess writes for Valley Freedom Newspapers. You can reach him via e-mail at [email protected].
    All things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

Sure gonna miss Danny, great guy and tough dude in the Basketball court.
    Yes Sir. Great job coach.

Comment

To the Falcons and Coach Smith

Milk was a bad choice.

Comment

Originally posted by KimoSabeQuienSabe View Post
        Falcons reward coach Dan Smith before leaving Los Fresnos
        April 09, 2010 6:44 AM
        Roy Hess
        RGVSports.com

Perhaps it was fitting the Los Fresnos boys won the Class 5A championship at last month’s state powerlifting meet at Abilene in coach Dan Smith’s final year with the Falcons’ program.

Smith started the powerlifting program for boys and girls at Los Fresnos in 1997. Until this school year, he had never won a state title with the boys, although he had guided the Lady Falcons to eight state championships in 14 years.

"We had gotten second place five times at state, so it was an awesome feeling (to win)," said Smith, who plans to return to his native North Dakota after 24 years of teaching and coaching at Los Fresnos. "You couldn’t ask for a better way (for things to turn out).

"We finished second at state last year, so winning state this year was something our guys had set a goal for," he added. "They did a great job of working hard to accomplish it."

The Texas High School Powerlifting Association’s state meet March 27 in Abilene featured 199 competitors in the highest division. Los Fresnos took first with 29 points followed by Lewisville The Colony in second with 22 and Weslaco East in third with 15.

The Falcons took seven lifters to state, and it was Los Fresnos’ most memorable showing for several reasons.

"Besides winning the team championship, there were seven state records broken (by our athletes)," Smith said.

Coming away with individual state championships for the Falcons were Rudy Garay, a junior, in the 114-pound class, Nick Laznovsky, a senior, in the 132-pound division, and Isaac Nuٌez, a senior, in the 148-pound class. Anibal Martinez, a senior, took second in the 123-pound class.

"Those four guys scored 26 of our 29 points," said Patrick Boutwell, an assistant coach for the Falcons along with Forrest Holt and Nikki Gomez. "They carried us all year."

Also for the Falcons, Rolando Borjas finished fourth in the 123-pound division, while Ivan Gonzalez and Aaron Castillo were fifth and 12th, respectively, in the 198-pound class.

"I got fifth at state last year, and I went back this year with the goal of finishing in the top three," Garay said. "I tried my best with all my heart, so it felt very good to finish first. I was (previously) at a higher weight class, and at the last moment, I went down and wound up winning state. I feel that I can do even better next year."

Laznovsky advanced to state four straight years. He went as a freshman for Port Isabel before moving to Los Fresnos as a sophomore.

"I had a lot of determination this year," he said. "In my mind, I didn’t let anything get in the way of getting a championship. It also felt great to do it as a team. Everyone worked out hard, and we didn’t want it to slip out of our hands. We wanted to do it for coach Smith since this was his last year and he had never won a boys state championship. We busted our butts in the weight room so we could win it.

"When I won my title, it was awesome," he added. "I just wanted to jump up in the air. I was so happy because I had gotten second last year and lost by 5 pounds."

Nuٌez successfully defended his state championship from one year ago. This year, he won by a comfortable 115-pound margin with his 1,470-pound total of dead lift, bench press and squat lifts. As a senior, he was making his fourth appearance at the state meet.

"Everything went pretty much according to the way I planned it," said Nuٌez, who has been one of the Falcons’ top lifters for four years and plans to continue competing in the sport at the University of Texas-San Antonio. "I didn’t want it to be close, and I got it done.

"I hope I’ve been a good example for younger powerlifters, so it can help push them to see what they can do," he added. "Through football and powerlifting, it’s taught me to be competitive and do my best. It’s helped me a lot. I’m not stopping here (in high school). I want to go on with it."

As a senior, Martinez made his third trip to state. He finished eighth as a sophomore and third as a junior. At this year’s meet, he broke a state record for the squat in his division with 520-pound lift. The previous record belonged to Laznovsky.

Laznovsky, in turn, broke a state squat record in his division previously held by Nuٌez with a 560-pound lift. Not to be outdone, Nuٌez recorded state records in his weight class in the bench press (375 pounds) and squat (620 pounds). Also, Garay broke a state record in the squat with 445 pounds, a mark that was topped just a few seconds later by a competitor, who did 450 pounds.

Just like some of his teammates, Martinez plans to continue powerlifting beyond high school.

"I felt good about this year because I got stronger and everything," Martinez said. "I would like to continue powerlifting in college, too. I may go to UTSA with Nick and Isaac.

"Winning the state (team) championship means a lot to me," he added. "I’ve competed in powerlifting all four years here at Los Fresnos, and it’s been one of the most important things to me while I’ve been in school.

"It just feels super (to win state), like nothing I’ve experienced before. I’d just like to thank the guys who were always there working out with me throughout the year, plus our coaches for how much they helped us."

Roy Hess writes for Valley Freedom Newspapers. You can reach him via e-mail at [email protected].
        It all makes sense now...

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Buzzard View Post
          It all makes sense now...
          Because he moved to Los Fresnos?

Comment

blah blah blah

every since i've known, Los Fresnos has had and still does have a great team in all the sports they participate. This year 2010 Boys State Champions for the 1st year with 3 state champs and a runner-up and then the Girls State Runner-up Champions 2 champs and one sophmore runner-up now thats amazingly wickedly awsome
            Last edited by that one girll*; 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM.
            that one girll*

Comment

they are one of the best in the valley and in the whole state of texas...Great job guys.......

Comment

Nice post and thnax for sharing.

Junior Mystery Quest

Comment

Nice post and thnax for sharing.

Junior Mystery Quest

Comment

Power lifting is really a hard task and it requires consistent training and efforts to get expertise in it. A power lifting coach is always favorable to know its ups and downs and to show good performance under pressure. Heavy strength training is favorable to gain the required strength for power lifting..
                    Cary Fitness Center

Comment

CONGRATS TO THE FALCONS. GREAT JOB AND A GREAT VALLEY REPRESENTATION. WOW GOOD TO HEAR THIS.

Comment

Working...
                      X